The Lord placed home schooling on my heart long before I even thought about getting married! This is record of the Lord's work in our lives and in our home school. Let HIS will be done!

Friday, March 26, 2010

Weekly Report (3/22 - 3/26)

What a productive week....again! Tons of photos too!!

Bible - We've been a bit lax in reading our devotionals but we started back up this week. Squeak even made a request - she said she wanted to hear the devotional with the girl making a cat out of clay. Gosh, I couldn't believe she remembered that because I didn't! It was about how God formed us out of the earth. So we read that. Here is the devotional we read from:


Math - My head is swirling with this still! I think we are up to about Lesson 53 and Squeak is still bored and still calls it "baby math." She asked to do harder number line addition problems so I skipped to the double digit plus single digit problems. We aren't exactly going through lesson by lesson. I am skipping here and there between a few lessons so there are a few things I want to go back and do in Lessons 50-52 (measurement/tens, ones stuff). I'm having a hard time just letting "go" and letting her fly through the material. I am too afraid she will miss something. I do admit that I'm not parking us on stuff like calendar work. She has a good idea of the days of the week but I'm not drilling her on months/years. She's not even 4, so that stuff is "gravy" right now plus it's nothing that can't be touched on later or necessary as a "foundation". I just can't wait to get out of Book 1!

Side note: I didn't like Miquon Math. Bummer.

Science - Sonlight K is still working beautifully for us!! We did three lessons this week including "hot air" experiment. It was also nice to know Squeak made the connection that hot air rises like the water vapor in the water cycle! She said that and I was thrilled that she is crossing stuff over and noticing the connections.

Here she is acting out the water cycle....
1. She is water floating in the sea:
2. She is a water vapor rising in the air after being heated by the sun:
3. She is foaming a cloud and other water drops are gathering together with her and getting too heavy for the cloud:
4. Now they are falling to the earth as rain to start the cycle all over again:

We also worked on the different types of clouds (this was another day):











Finally today, we made hailstones:
What I did was - I cut a few sheets of paper into quarters. Then we crumbled the one quarter of the paper as our first water droplet, that droplet went to the top of our cumulonimbus cloud (by the wind) and froze then when it started to go to the bottom of the cloud, another layer was water wrapped around it (another quarter sheet) and we continued that process with about three layers total until the hailstone was too heavy and it fell to the earth. I used paper so she could see how the hailstones are made of water layers that freeze on top of each other. She loved it and made a TON of hailstones AND went through all the motions as if it was in a cloud. Squeak even made sound effects when her water froze - LOL!

Other - Piglet has been taking care of a baby doll that she named "Baby" all week:

Here are some pictures of the girls working on various projects:

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE your science lessons! The pictures of Squeak acting out the water cycle are so precious. Thanks for the lesson on how hailstones are formed. I think the way you demonstrated it was so cool.
    Wondering what you didn't like about the math curriculum.
    Oh, and all Amelia's babies are "Baby" (Actually, sounds like "beebee"
    Great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great science lessons! Sounds like a wonderful week. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the theatrical weather production!!!

    ReplyDelete