Summer Plans!
(NOTE: As I list this out, it seems like A LOT - LOL! But Squeak is a very aggressive learner and I always like to have plenty (and a variety) of resources available. Frantic trips to the computer to print out "more" back when we first started home schooling taught me that lesson!)
Next week, we begin our K/1st summer - I'm aiming for 1-2 days a week. I previously listed a few resources that I planned on using. For the summer, we are taking a break from our regular curricula and re-visit some things that Squeak has enjoyed.
- We will still continue with BJU Bible.
- I chose some materials from Moving Beyond the Page. I used MBTP previously and wasn't impressed since the 5-7 Concept didn't challenge my 3.5 year old. But this time around, I just wanted light, fun, no pressure activities. So I chose the 6-8 Measurement Concept and the 6-8 Matter and Movement Concept. A second reason is that Packy likes to tag along and MBTP will be our "snack/story/project" time. The 6-8 age range uses picture books as the literature and that's exactly what I was looking for. I returned the Teacher's Guides and just kept the Student Activity books and picture books.
- I bought The Complete Book of Our Solar System. I asked Squeak to choose between this and the Complete Book of Animals and she chose the Solar System. So basically, we are just going to gaze into God's beautiful night sky, discuss whatever and work on the activities in the book. Again, nothing new or formal, just for fun.
- I didn't buy a BrainQuest book. Instead I bought a few other workbooks to just use when we need to fill some time:
-Summer Link Math and Reading - Summer before Grade 3
-Top Readers Nonfiction Reading Comprehension (the book in the link is slightly different as it's "more nonfiction reading"...I couldn't find just the regular book we have)
-Vocabulary for the Gifted Student Grade 2
These are just fun books. I don't plan or expect to finish every page. Squeak can pick and choose what she wants to do, when she wants. The Top Readers book has a variety of topics to read about, so she can just pick whatever. Except for some of the activities in the Summer Link workbook, I don't expect these books to present much challenge....just keeping it easy and breezy still. I probably should have gotten the next level of the Top Readers and Vocabulary books but I was in a hurry at Barnes & Noble (little hands were getting into too much!) Oh well.
So, that's pretty much our "curricula" plan for the summer. Of course, we are hitting the library too. Having plently of free play (our days are very long - early risers) so I have a lot of hours that I need to keep them busy! So we'll see how it goes!
No comments:
Post a Comment